Contact Lens Spectrum
(p. 17) GP Insights - Fitting Children with Extended Wear GP Contact Lenses, by Marjorie J. Rah, OD, PhD
1. Shaughnessy MP, Ellis FJ, Jeffery AR, Szczotka L. Rigid gas-permeable contact lenses are a safe and effective means of treating refractive abnormalities in the pediatric population. CLAO J. 2001 Oct; 27(4): 195-201.
2. Gleason W, Albright RA. Menicon Z 30-day continuous wear lenses: a clinical comparison to Acuvue 7-day extended wear lenses. Eye Contact Lens. 2003 Jan; 29(1 Suppl): S149-52; discussion S166, S192-4
3. Gleason W, Tanaka H, Albright RA, Cavanagh HD. A 1-year prospective clinical trial of menicon Z (tisilfocon A) rigid gas-permeable contact lenses worn on a 30-day continuous wear schedule. Eye Contact Lens. 2003 Jan; 29(1): 2-9.
4. Pall B, Barr JT, Szczotka LB, Mitchell GL, Gleason W. Corneal thickness results in the Menicon Z 30-day continuous wear and ACUVUE 7-day extended-wear contact lens clinical trial. Eye Contact Lens. 2003 Jan; 29(1): 10-3.
5. Barr JT, Pall B, Szczotka LB, Mitchell GL, Gleason W. Corneal endothelial morphology results in the Menicon Z 30-day continuous-wear contact lens clinical trial. Eye Contact Lens. 2003 Jan; 29(1): 14-6.
(p. 38) Examining Taurine’s Role in Ocular Biochemistry and in CL Wear, by J. James Thimons, OD
1. Arakawa T and Timasheff SN. The stabilization of proteins by osmolytes. Biophys J. 1985; 47:411-14.
2. Benjamin WJ. Hypertonic osmotic measurements of worn SCLs: What are we seeing? Presentation at Sept. 2001 ISCLR.
3. Bonnano JA and Polse KA. Corneal acidosis during contact lens wear: effects of hypoxia and CO2. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci . 1987; 28: 1514-1520.
4. Chenzhou L, Murube J, Latorre A, Martin del Rio R. Differential presence of amino acids in human tears of normal and dry eyes. Cornea. 2000; 19: S80.
5. Endo Y, Hanada K, Miyake M, Ogawara K, Higaki K, Kimura T. Mechanisms of cytoprotective effect of amino acids on local toxicity caused by sodium laurate, a drug absorption enhancer, in intestinal epithelium. J Pharm Sci. 2002;9:730‑43.
6. Farris RI. Tear osmolarity-a new gold standard? Adv Exp Med Biol. 1994; 350: 495-503.
7. Heinamaki AA, Muhonen AS, Piha RS. Taurine and other free amino acids in the retina, vitreous, lens, iris-ciliary body, and cornea of the rat eye. Neurochem Res. 1986;11:535-42.
8. Hung CR, Hung PC. Protective effects of several amino acid-nutrients on gastric hemorrhagic erosions in acid-irrigated stomachs of septic rats. Chin J Physiol. 1999;42:161‑9.
9. Koyama I, Nadamori K, Nagahama T, Ogasawara M, Nemoto M. The reactivity of taurine with hypochlorous acid and its application for eye drops. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1996; 403:9-18.