Contact Lens Spectrum
(p. 22) Discovering Dry Eye: Allergies and Dry Eye in Contact Lens Wearers, By Kelly K. Nichols, OD, MPH, PhD
(p. 34) Fitting Scleral Lenses, By Mitchell M. Loftin, OD
1. Wollensak G. Otto Himmler: First Manufacturer of Lathe Cut Corneo-Scleral Lenses. [Comment]. [Biography. Comment. Historical Article. Letter to Editor] Survey of Ophthalmology. 49(3): 374 – 375, 2004 May-June.
2. Romero-Rangel T. et al. Gas-permeable Scleral Contact Lens Therapy in Ocular Surface Disease. American Journal of Ophthalmology 130(1): 25-32, 2000 July.
3. Romero-Rangel T. et al. IBID.
4. Schein OD, Rosenthal P, Ducharme C. A Gas-Permeable Scleral Contact Lens for Visual Rehabilitation. American Journal of Ophthalmology 109: 318-322, 1900 March.
5. Romero-Rangel T. et al. IBID.
6. Rosenthal P, Cotter J, Baum J. Treatment of Persistent Corneal Epithelial Defect with Extended Wear of a Fluid-Ventilated Gas-permeable Scleral Contact Lens. American Journal of Ophthalmology 130 (1): 33-41, 2000 July.
7. Rosenthal P, et al. IBID.
8. Sindt C. Notes taken at Heart of America Contact lens seminar . Corneal-Scleral GP lenses – The Next generation. February 13,2006.
(p. 40) Chemical Properties of Contact Lens Rewetters, By Loretta B. Szczotka-Flynn, OD, MS, FAAO
1. Global Industry Analysts, Inc. Contact Lens and Solutions. A Global Strategic Business Report. February 2004. San Jose, CA
2. Doughty MJ, Fonn D, Richter D, Simpson T, Caffery B, Gordon K. A patient questionnaire approach to estimating the prevalence of dry eye symptoms in patients presenting to optometric practices across Canada. Optom Vis Sci. Aug 1997:74(8);624-31.
3. Guillon M, Styles E, Guillon J-P,Maissa C. Preocular tear film characteristics of nonwearers and soft contact lens wearers. Optom Vis Sci. May 1997:74(5);273-79.
4. Hom M. Multi-purpose solutions and corneal health. Rev of Contact Lenses. July 2003:24-27.
5. Tonge S, Jones L, Goodall S, Tighe B. The ex vivo wettability of soft contact lenses. Curr Eye Res. 2001;23(1):51-59.
6. Jones L & Christie C. Contact lens care. Part 9—rigid lens care systems: an overview. Optician. Dec. 7, 2001;222(5830):22-27.
7. Lenton LM, Albietz JM. Effect of carmellose-based artificial tears on the ocular surface in eyes after laser in situ keratomileusis. J Refract Surg. Mar-Apr 1999;15(Suppl):S227-S231.
8. Grene RB, Lankston P, Mordaunt J, Harrold M, Gwon A, Jones R. Unpreserved carboxymethylcellulose artificial tears evaluated in patients with keratoconjunctivitis sicca. Cornea. 1992 Jul;11(4):294-301.
9. Vehige JG, Simmons PA, Anger C, Graham R, Tran L, Brady N. Cytoprotective properties of carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) when used prior to wearing contact lenses treated with cationic disinfecting agents [abstract]. Eye Contact Lens. 2003 Jul;29(3):177-80.
10. Toda I, Shinozaki N, Tsubota K. Hyroxypropyl methylcellulose for the treatment of severe dry eye associated with Sjogren’s syndrome. Cornea. 1996;15(2):120-128.
11. Dudinski O, Finnin BC, Reed BL. Acceptability of thickened eye drops to human subjects. Curr Ther Res. Feb 1983;33(2):322-337.
12. Otto S, Roth HW. Efficacy and tolerability of a polyvidon formulation in treatment of the dry eye syndrome [in German, English abstract]. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 1996;209:362-327.
13. Bach FC, Adam JB, McWhirter HC, Johnson JE. Ocular retention of artificial tear solution. Ann Ophthalmol. Feb 1972:4;116-119.
14. Simmons PA, Donshik PC, Kelly WF, Vehige JG. Conditioning of hydrogel lenses by a multipurpose solution containing an ocular lubricant. CLAO J. 2001 Oct; 27(4):192-194.
15. Hu Z, Derrick J, inventors. Bausch & Lomb Inc., assignee. Ophthalmic compositions including glycerin and propylene glycol. U.S. patent 5,800,807. September 1, 1998.
16. Goa KL, Benfield P. Hyaluronic acid: a review of its pharmacology and use as a surgical aid in ophthalmology, and its therapeutic potential in joint disease and wound healing. Drugs. 1994;47(3):536-566.
17. Hamano T, Horimoto K, Lee M, Komemushi S. Sodium hyaluronate eyedrops enhance tear film stability. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 1996;40:62-65.
18. Mengher LS, Pandher KS, Bron AJ, Davey CC. Effect of sodium hyaluronate (0.1%) on break-up time (NIBUT) in patients with dry eyes. Br J Ophthalmol. 1986;70:442-447.
19. Canavan K & Kabat AG. Practical tips for managing dry eye in contact lens patients. Clin Ref Optometry. 2003;1/14(6/7):198-202.
20. Noecker, R. Effects of common ophthalmic preservatives on ocular health. Adv Ther. Sept/Oct 2001;18(5):205-215.
21. Tripathi BJ, Tripathi RC, Kolli SP. Cytotoxicity of ophthalmic preservatives on human corneal epithelium. Lens Eye Toxic Res. 1992; 9(3&4):361-375.
22. Paugh JR, Brennan NA, Efron N. Ocular response to hydrogen peroxide. Am J Optom Physiol Opt. 1988;65(2):91-98.
23. Way WA, Matsumoto S, Apel LJ, Wiese A, Tarlo K, Vehige J. Purite™ as a non-disruptive preservative for lubricating eye drop solutions in comparison to alternative preservatives [abstract]. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001;42(4):S39 ABS 223-B196.
24. Demina NB, Chirkova MN, Astakhova AV, & Travina LA. Contact lens maintenance systems. Pharm Chem J. Feb 2001; 35(2):114-119.
25. Adams J, Wilcox MJ, Trousdale MD, Chien D-S, Shimizu RW. Morphologic and physiologic effects of artificial tear formulations on corneal epithelial derived cells. Cornea. 1992;11(3):234-41.
26. Harding JJ. Biochemistry of the eye. London, Great Britain. Chapman & Hall Medical, 1997:p. 6.
27. Bachman WG, Wilson G. Essential ions for maintenance of the corneal epithelial surface. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. November 1985;26(11):1484-1488.
28. Krezanoski JZ. Chemical buffering of contact lens solutions. Contact Lens Forum. Dec 1988;13(12):60.
29. Hom MM & Simmons PA. Current multipurpose solution concepts. Contact Lens Spectrum. Sep 2001;16(9):33-34, 36, 38-39.
30. Doughty MJ. Re-wetting, comfort, lubricant and moisturising solutions for the contact lens wearer. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 1999;22(4):116-126.
31. Snibson GR, Greaves JL, Soper NDW, Tiffany JM, Wilson CG, Bron AJ. Ocular surface residence times of artificial tear solutions. Cornea. 1992;11(4):288-293.
32. Avisar R, Creter D, Levinsky H, Savir H. Comparative study of tear substitutes and their immediate effect on the precorneal tear film. Isr J Med Sci. Mar 1997;33(3):194-197.
33. Farris RL. The dry eye: its mechanisms and therapy, with evidence that contact lens is a cause. CLAO J. Oct 1986;12(4):234-246.
34. Glasson MJ, Stapleton F, Keay L, Sweeney D, Willcox MDP. Differences in clinical parameters and tear film of tolerant and intolerant contact lens wearers. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. Dec 2003;44(12):5116-5124.
35. D’Arienzo P. Understanding and meeting the challenges of dry eye. Rev Ophthalmol. Aug 2002; 9(8):41, 44-45.