Contact Lens Spectrum
(p. 12) Refractive Focus – Myopia Control: Atropine, Contact Lenses, and Beyond
By David A. Berntsen, OD, PhD
- Flitcroft DI. The complex interactions of retinal, optical and environmental factors in myopia aetiology. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2012 Nov;31:622-660.
- Vitale S, Sperduto RD, Ferris FL 3rd. Increased prevalence of myopia in the United States between 1971-1972 and 1999-2004. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009 Dec;127:1632-1639.
- Holden BA, Fricke TR, Wilson DA, et al. Global Prevalence of Myopia and High Myopia and Temporal Trends from 2000 through 2050. Ophthalmology. 2016 May;123:1036-1042.
- Huang J, Wen D, Wang Q, et al. Efficacy Comparison of 16 Interventions for Myopia Control in Children: A Network Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2016 Apr;123:697-708.
- Gwiazda J, Hyman L, Hussein M, et al. A randomized clinical trial of progressive addition lenses versus single vision lenses on the progression of myopia in children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003 Apr;44:1492-1500.
- Walline JJ, Gaume Giannoni A, Sinnott LT, et al. A Randomized Trial of Soft Multifocal Contact Lenses for Myopia Control: Baseline Data and Methods. Optom Vis Sci. 2017 Sep;94:856-866.
- Berntsen DA, Schulle KL, Sinnott LT, et al. Visual acuity and over-refraction in myopic children fitted with soft multifocal contact lenses in the BLINK Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:ARVO E-Abstract 3052.
- Smith EL, 3rd. Optical treatment strategies to slow myopia progression: Effects of the visual extent of the optical treatment zone. Exp Eye Res. 2013 Sep;114:77-88.
- Lin Z, Martinez A, Chen X, et al. Peripheral defocus with single-vision spectacle lenses in myopic children. Optom Vis Sci. 2010 Jan;87:4-9.
- Sankaridurg P, Holden B, Smith E 3rd, et al. Decrease in rate of myopia progression with a contact lens designed to reduce relative peripheral hyperopia: one-year results. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011 Dec;52:9362-9367.
- Berntsen DA, Barr CD, Mutti DO, Zadnik K. Peripheral defocus and myopia progression in myopic children randomly assigned to wear single vision and progressive addition lenses. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Aug 27;54:5761-5770.
- Chua WH, Balakrishnan V, Chan YH, et al. Atropine for the treatment of childhood myopia. Ophthalmology. 2006 Dec;113:2285-2291.
- Chia A, Chua WH, Cheung YB, et al. Atropine for the treatment of childhood myopia: safety and efficacy of 0.5%, 0.1%, and 0.01% doses (Atropine for the Treatment of Myopia 2). Ophthalmology. 2012 Feb;119:347-354.
- Chia A, Chua WH, Wen L, et al. Atropine for the treatment of childhood myopia: changes after stopping atropine 0.01%, 0.1% and 0.5%. Am J Ophthalmol 2014;157(2):451-457.
- Kinoshita N, Konnp Y, Hamada N, Kakehashi A. Suppressive effect of combined treatment of orthokeratology and 0.01% atropine instillation on axial length elongation in childhood myopia. Abstract presented during ARVO 2017.
(p. 17) GP Insights – Four Reasons to Choose Corneal GPs Over Sclerals
By John Mark Jackson, OD, MS
- Giasson CJ, Morency J, Mellilo M, Michaud L. Oxygen Tension Beneath Scleral Lenses of Different Clearances. Optom Vis Sci. 2017 Apr;94:466-475.
(p. 20) Dry Eye Dx and Tx – There Is No Magic Bullet for Contact Lens Discomfort
By Amber Gaume Giannoni, OD, MS
- Tear Film & Ocular Surface Society (TFOS). The TFOS International Workshop on Contact Lens Discomfort. 2013. Available at http://www.tearfilm.org/tfoscldreport-english/tfos-cld-materials-care.htm . Accessed on Oct. 3, 2017.
(p. 21) Contact Lens Care & Compliance – Preventing Acanthamoeba Keratitis
By Andrew D. Pucker, OD, PhD
- Król-Turminska K , Olender A. Human infections caused by free-living amoebae. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2017 May 11;24:254-260.
- Casero RD, Mongi F, Laconte L, et al. Molecular and morphological characterization of Acanthamoeba isolated from corneal scrapes and contact lens wearers in Argentina. Infect Genet Evol. 2017 Oct;54:170-175.
- Daas L, Viestenz A, Schnabel PA, et al. Confocal microscopy as an early relapse marker for acanthamoeba keratitis. Clin Anat. 2017 May 27. [Epub ahead or print]
- Johnston SP, Sriram R, Qvarnstrom Y, et al. Resistance of Acanthamoeba cysts to disinfection in multiple contact lens solutions. J Clin Microbiol. 2009 Jul;47:2040-2045.
- Brown AC, Ross J, Jones DB, et al; Acanthamoeba Keratitis Investigation Team. Risk Factors for Acanthamoeba Keratitis-A Multistate Case-Control Study, 2008-2011. Eye Contact Lens. 2017 Jan 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zimmerman AB, Richdale K, Mitchell GL, et al. Water Exposure is a Common Risk Behavior Among Soft and Gas-Permeable Contact Lens Wearers. Cornea. 2017 Aug;36:995-1001.
- Lakhundi S, Siddiqui R, Khan NA. Pathogenesis of microbial keratitis. Microb Pathog. 2017 Mar;104:97-109.
- Hadaś E, Derda M, Cholewiński M. Evaluation of the effectiveness of tea tree oil in treatment of Acanthamoeba infection. Parasitol Res. 2017 Mar;116:997-1001.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry: Premarket Notification (510(k)) Guidance Document for Contact Lens Care Products. 1997 May 1. Available at https://www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/UCM080218.pdf . Accessed on Oct. 2, 2017.
- Kal A, Toker MI, Kaya S. The comparison of antimicrobial effectiveness of contact lens solutions. Int Ophthalmol. 2016 Oct 13. [Epub ahead of print]
(p. 47) Orthokeratology Today – Discuss All Options to Correct Myopia
By Michael J. Lipson, OD
- García-Porta N, Rico-del-Viejo L, Martin-Gil A, Carracedo G, Pintor J, González-Méijome JM. Differences in Dry Eye Questionnaire Symptoms in Two Different Modalities of Contact Lens Wear: Silicone-Hydrogel in Daily Wear Basis and Overnight Orthokeratology. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:1242845.
- Carracedo G, Martin-Gil A, Fonseca B, Pintor J. Effect of overnight orthokeratology on conjunctival goblet cells. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2016;39:266-269.
- Lipson MJ, Sugar A, Musch DC. Overnight corneal reshaping versus soft disposable contact lenses: vision-related quality-of-life differences from a randomized clinical trial. Optom Vis Sci. 2005 Oct;82:886-891.
- Berntsen DA, Mitchell GL, Barr JT. The effect of overnight contact lens corneal reshaping on refractive error-specific quality of life. Optom Vis Sci. 2006 Jun;83:354-359.
- Hiraoka T, Okamoto C, Ishii Y, et al. Patient satisfaction and clinical outcomes after overnight orthokeratology. Optom Vis Sci. 2009 Jul;86:875-882.
- Liu G, Chen Z, Xue F, et al. Effects of Myopic Orthokeratology on Visual Performance and Optical Quality. Eye Contact Lens. 2017 Mar 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Berntsen DA, Barr JT, Mitchell GL. The effect of overnight contact lens corneal reshaping on higher-order aberrations and best-corrected visual acuity. Optom Vis Sci. 2005 Jun;82:490-497.
(p. 48) The Scleral Lens Vault – Managing Residual Higher-Order Aberrations
By Gregory W. DeNaeyer, OD
- Pantanelli S, MacRae S, Jeong TM, Yoon G. Characterizing the wave aberration in eyes with keratoconus or penetrating keratoplasty using a high-dynamic range wavefront sensor. Ophthalmology. 2007 Nov;114:2013-2021.
- Chen M, Yoon G. Posterior corneal aberrations and their compensation effects on anterior corneal aberrations in keratoconic eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008 Dec;49:5645-5652.
- Sabesan R, Johns L, Tomashevskaya O, Jacobs DS, Rosenthal P, Yoon G. Wavefront-guided scleral lens prosthetic device for keratoconus. Optom Vis Sci. 2013 Apr;90:314-323.
- Marsack JD, Ravikumar A, Nguyen C, et al. Wavefront-guided scleral lens correction in keratoconus. Optom Vis Sci. 2014 Oct;91:1221-1230.
- Sabesan R, Yoon G. Perceptual learning after correcting the eye’s aberration with adaptive optics. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Jun;54:1282.
(p. 49) Treatment Plan – Is Utopia in Our Fugure
By Leo Semes, OD
- Delahunty D. Must read article on how our lives will change dramatically in 20 years. 2017 Jul 16. Available at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/must-read-article-how-our-lives-change-dramatically-20-delahunty . Accessed on Oct. 3, 2017.
- Clark L. Vinod Khosla: Machines will replace 80 perdcent of doctors. Available at http://www.wired.co.uk/article/doctors-replaced-with-machines . Accessed on May 30, 2017.
- Farr C. Here’s why one tech investor thinks some doctors will be ‘obsolete’ in five years. Available at http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/07/vinod-khosla-radiologists-obsolete-five-years.html . Accessed on May 30, 2017.
- ‘Deep learning’ potential breakthough in diabetic retinopathy management. Healio.com/Primary Care Optometry News. 2017 May 16. Available at http://www.healio.com/optometry/retina-vitreous/news/online/%7B455dabb3-37a1-4c80-9e8b-32bea3cf3f4e%7D/deep-learning-potential-breakthrough-in-diabetic-retinopathy-management . Accessed on Oct. 3, 2017.
- Gulshan V, Peng L, Coram M, et al. Development and Validation of a Deep Learning Algorithm for Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy in Retinal Fundus Photographs. JAMA. 2016 Dec 13;316:2402-2410.
- Abramoff MD, Lou Y, Erginay E, et al. Improved automated detection of diabetic retinopathy on a publicly available dataset through integration of deep learning. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:5200-5206.
- Horvát G, Gyarmati B, Berkó S, et al. Thiolated poly(aspartic acid) as potential in situ gelling, ocular mucoadhesive drug delivery system. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2015 Jan 25;67:1-11.
- Lusthaus JA, Goldberg I. Emerging drugs to treat glaucoma: targeting prostaglandin F and E receptors. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2016;21:117-28.
- Lewis RA, Christie WC, Day DG, et al. Bimatoprost Sustained-Release Implants for Glaucoma Therapy: 6-Month Results From a Phase I/II Clinical Trial. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017 Mar;175:137-147.
(p. 50) Reader and Industry Forum – Rethinking How to Disinfect Contact Lens Cases
By Agustin Gonzalez, OD
- Fleiszig S, Evans D. The pathogenesis of contact lens-associated microbial keratitis. Optom Vis Sci. 2010 April;87:225-232.
- Hoffman JJ, Pelosini L. What happens when one leaves soft contact lenses in for three weeks? A case of bilateral, severe pseudomonas keratitis from contact lenses purchased over the internet. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2016 Aug;39:318-320.
- Stapleton F, Wu Y. What is Happening in Your Contact Lens Storage Case? Rev Cornea Contact Lens. 2011 April 18. Available at http://www.reviewofcontactlenses.com/content/c/27817 . Accessed on Oct. 18, 2017.
- Bispo PJ, Haas W, Gilmore MS. Biofilms in Infections of the Eye. Pathogens. 2105 Mar;4:111-136.
- Thakur DV, Gaikwad UN. Microbial contamination of soft contact lenses & accessories in asymptomatic contact lens users. Indian J Med Res. 2014 Aug;140:307-309.
- Szczotka-Flynn LB, Pearlman E, Ghannoum M. Microbial contamination of contact lenses, lens care solutions, and their accessories: a literature review. Eye Contact Lens. 2010 Mar;36:116-129.
- Wu YT, Willcox M, Zhu H, Stapleton F. Contact lens hygiene compliance and lens case contamination: A review. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2015 Oct;38:307-316.
- Melton, R. & Thomas, R. All About Dry Eye. In 2016 Clinical Guide To Ophthalmic Drugs. Rev Optom. 2016 May 15;13-19. Available at https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/CMSDocuments/2016/5/dg0516i.pdf . Accessed on Oct. 18, 2017.
- Epstein A. Dry Eye Therapeutics. In Make a Splash in Dry Eye, a supplement to Optometric Management. 2016 Feb; 9-10. Available at https://www.optometricmanagement.com/supplements/2016/february-2016/make-a-splash-in-dry-eye/dry-eye-therapeutics . Accessed on Oct. 18, 2017.
- Krader CG. Hypochlorous acid lid cleanser provides novel advantages. Ophthalmology Times. 2014 Jun 1. Available at http://ophthalmologytimes.modernmedicine.com/ophthalmologytimes/content/tags/advanced-i-lid-cleanser/hypochlorous-acid-lid-cleanser-provides-nove . Accessed on Oct. 18, 2017.
- Debabov D, Noorbakhsh C, Wang L, Najafi-Tagol K, Najafi R, Stroman D. AvenovaTM with NeutroxTM (pure 0.01% HOCl) compared with OTC product (0.02% HOCl). NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Available at http://novabay.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/avenova-with-neutrox-first-and-only-product-in-ophthalmology-containing-pure-hypochlorous-acid-compared-with-otc-product.pdf. Accessed on Oct. 18, 2017.
- Yeung KK, Forister JF, Forister EF, Chung MY, Han S, Weissman BA. Compliance with soft contact lens replacement schedules and associated contact lens-related ocular complications: The UCLA Contact Lens Study. Optometry. 2010 Nov;81:598-607.
- Boyd K. How to Take Care of Contact Lenses. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2016 Mar 1. Available at https://www.aao.org/eye-health/glasses-contacts/contact-lens-care . Accessed on Oct. 18, 2017.