Contact Lens Spectrum
(p. 12) Research Review – The (Corneoscleral) Shape of What’s to Come
By S. Barry Eiden, OD
- Van der Worp E, Graf T, Caroline PJ. Exploring Beyond the Corneal Borders. Contact Lens Spectrum. 2010 June;25:26-32.
- Hall LA, Young G, Wolffsohn JS, Riley C. The influence of corneoscleral topography on soft contact lens fit. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011 Aug 29;52:6801-6806.
- Hall LA, Hunt C, Young G, Wolffsohn J. Factors affecting corneoscleral topography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 May 1;54:3691-3701.
- DeNaeyer G, Sanders D, van der Worp E, Jedlicka J, Michaud L, Morrison S. Qualitative Assessment of Scleral Shape Patterns Using a New Wide Field Ocular Surface Elevation Topographer: The SSSG Study. JCLRS [Internet]. 2017 Nov 16;1:12-. Available at https://www.jclrs.org/index.php/JCLRS/article/view/11 . Accessed April 9, 2020.
- Ritzmann M, Caroline PJ, Börret R, Korszen E. An analysis of anterior scleral shape and its role in the design and fitting of scleral contact lenses. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2018 Apr;41:205-213.
- Consejo A, Rozema JJ. Scleral Shape and Its Correlations with Corneal Astigmatism. Cornea. 2018 Aug;37(8):1047-1052.
- Piñero DP, Martínez-Abad A, Soto-Negro R, et al. Differences in corneo-scleral topographic profile between healthy and keratoconus corneas. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2019 Feb;42:75-84.
- DeNaeyer G, Sanders D, Michaud L, et al. Correlation of Corneal and Scleral Topography in Cases with Ectasias and Normal Corneas: The SSSG Study. JCLRS [Internet]. 2019 May 9;3:e10-e20. Available at https://www.jclrs.org/index/php/JCLRS/article/view/33 . Accessed April 9, 2020.
- Gemoules G. A novel method of fitting scleral lenses using high resolution optical coherence tomography. Eye Contact Lens. 2008 Mar;34:80-83.
- Piñero DP, Soto-Negro R. Anterior Eye Profilometry-guided Scleral Contact Lens Fitting in Keratoconus. Int J Kerat Ect Cor Dis. 2017 Jul-Dec;6:97-100.
- Maller K. Pentacam CSP Software to Improve Efficiency and Efficacy of Complex Custom Scleral Lens Design. Modern Optometry Digital Supplement, 2019.
- Nguyen MTB, Thakrar V, Chan CC. EyePrintPRO therapeutic scleral contact lens: indications and outcomes. Can J Ophthalmol. 2018 Feb;53:66-70.
(p. 14) Prescribing for Presbyopia – What Are Extended Depth of Focus (EDOF) Lenses?
By Thomas G. Quinn, OD, MS
- Bakaraju RC, Ehrmann K, Ho A. Extended depth of focus contact lenses vs two commercial multifocals: Part 1. Optical performance evaluation via computed through-focus retinal image quality metrics. J Optom. 2018 Jan-Mar;11:10-20.
- Griffen RA. Ophthalmic Lenses with induced aperture and redundant power regions. United States Patent 7,178,918. 2007 Feb 20.
- Bakaraju RC, Tilia D, Sha J, et al. Extended depth of focus contact lenses vs two commercial multifocals: Part 2. Visual performance after 1 week of lens wear. J Optom. 2018 Jan-Mar;11:21-32.
- Sha J, Tilia D, Kho D, Diec J, Thomas V, Bakaraju RC. Comparison of extended depth-of-focus prototype contact lenses with the 1-day Acuvue Moist Multifocal after one week of wear. Eye Contact Lens. 2018 Nov;44 Suppl 2:S157-S163.
(p. 15) GP Insights – Scleral Lens Application Devices
By Laurel Roberts, OD, & John Mark Jackson, OD, MS
- Macedo-de-Araújo RJ, van der Worp E, González-Méijome JM. A one-year prospective study on scleral lens wear success. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2019 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kanakamedala A, Salazar H, Campagna G, et al. Outcomes of Scleral Contact Lens Use in Veteran Population. Eye Contact Lens. 2019 Nov 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Barnett M, Lien V, Li JY, Durbin-Johnson B, Mannis MJ. Use of Scleral Lenses and Miniscleral Lenses After Penetrating Keratoplasty. Eye Contact Lens. 2016 May;42:185-189.
- Weyns M, Koppen C, Tassignon MJ. Scleral contact lenses as an alternative to tarsorrhaphy for the long-term management of combined exposure and neurotrophic keratopathy. Cornea. 2013 Mar;32:359-361.
- Arnold T, Baldwin B, Barnett M, et al. Scleral Lens Troubleshooting FAQs. GP Lens Institute-Scleral Lens Education Society. https://www.gpli.info/pdf/GPLISLSTSGuide11017.pdf Accessed January 17, 2020.
- DMV Corporation. Contact Lens removers, inserters & handling products. 2005. http://www.dmvcorp.com/scleral.htm . Accessed January 19, 2020.
- Dry Eye Shop. Scleral Lens User Guide: Lens Application (Insertion). 2020. https://dryeyeshop.com/pages/scleral-lens-user-guide-lens-application-insertion . Accessed Accessed January 19, 2020.
- EZI Scleral lens applicator ring. 2020. https://ezicompany.com . Accessed April 12, 2020.
- See-Green Products | Dalsey Adaptives. 2020. Available at: https://www.dalseyadaptives.net/shop-products . Accessed January 19, 2020.
- S5 scleral lens inserters. Augmented Vision Labs. http://augmentedvisionlabs.com/contact-lens/ . Accessed January 19, 2020.
- Cliara Clio double sided lens applicator/remover. https://cliaraeyes.com/ . Accessed April 10, 2020.
(p. 17) Dry Eye Dx and Tx – SARS-CoV-2 and Eye Care
By Amber Gaume Giannoni, OD
- Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y, et. al. Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med. 2020 Feb 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Xia J, Tong J, Liu M, Shen Y, Guo D. Evaluation of coronavirus in tears and conjunctival secretions of patients with SARS‐CoV‐2 infection. J Med Virol. 2020 Feb 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH, et al. Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared to SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med. 2020 Mar 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Centers for Disease Control and Detection. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID 19) How to Protect Yourself. Available at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fabout%2Fprevention.html . Accessed April 2, 2020.
(p. 18) Contact Lens Care & Compliance – Daily Disposables: Boost Complications, Not Waste
By Melissa Barnett, OD
- World Economic Forum, Ellen MacArthur Foundation and McKinsey & Company. The New Plastics Economy — Rethinking the future of plastics. 2016 Jan. Available at http://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/publications .
- Parker L. Here’s How Much Plastic Trash Is Littering the Earth. National Geographic. Available at https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/07/plastic-produced-recycling-waste-ocean-trash-debris-environment . Accessed April 21, 2020.
- Dumbleton K, Woods C, Jones L, Fonn D, Sarwer DB. Patient and practitioner compliance with silicone hydrogel and daily disposable lens replacement in the United States. Eye Contact Lens. 2009 July;35:164-171.
- Routhier J, De Freitas M, Hickson-Curran S. There Are How Many Contact Lenses in What?! Presented at the 2012 American Academy of Optometry meeting. 2012 Oct. 24-27. Phoenix. Available at https://www.aaopt.org/detail/knowledge-base-article/there-are-how-many-contact-lenses-what . Accessed April 1, 2020.
- Howard CB, Abdelrahman AL. Exactly What Every Plastic Recycling Symbol Actually Means. Good Housekeeping. 2020 Feb 26. Available at https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/g804/recycling-symbols-plastics-460321 .
- American Optometric Association Contact Lens & Cornea Section. Educating Patients: Contact Lens Disposal – Proper Contact Lens Disposable Fact Sheet. Available at https://www.aoa.org/Documents/CLCS/Contact%20Lens_Recycle%20Fact%20-%20Doctor%2010.1.2019(0).pdf . Accessed April 1, 2020.
(p. 46) Scleral Lens Vault – Manage Keratoconus with CXL and Scleral Lenses
By Karen L. Lee
- Picot C, Gauthier AS, Campolmi N, Delbosc B. [Quality of life in patients wearing scleral lenses]. J Fr Ophtalmol. 2015 Sep;38:615-619.
- Ozek D, Kemer OE, Altiaylik P. Visual performance of scleral lenses and their impact on quality of life in patients with irregular corneas. Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2018 Nov/Dec;81:475-480.
- Gokul A, Patel DV, Watters GA, McGhee CNJ. The natural history of corneal topographic progression of keratoconus after age 30 years in non-contact lens wearers. Br J Ophthalmol. 2017 Jun;101:839-844.
- Barr JT, Wilson BS, Gordon MO, et al; CLEK Study Group. Estimation of the Incidence and Factors of Predictive of Corneal Scarring in the Collaborative Longitudnal Evaluation of Keratoconus (CLEK) Study. Cornea. 2006 Jan;25:16-25.
- Peyman A, Kamali A, Khushabi M, et al. Collagen cross-linking effect on progressive keratoconus in patients younger than 18 years of age: A clinical trial. Adv Biomed Res. 2015 Nov 23;4:245.
- DeNaeyer G, Sanders D. Collagen Crosslinking for Keratoconus Can Change Scleral Shape. JCLRS. 2018 Mar 28;2:e15-e21.
- Mazzotta C, Caporossi T, Denaro R, et al. Morphological and functional correlations in riboflavin UV A corneal collagen cross-linking for keratoconus. Acta Ophthalmol. 2012 May;90:259-265.
- Naderan M, Jahanrad A. Higher-order aberration 4 years after corneal collagen cross-linking. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017 Sep;65:808-812.
- Visser ES, Soeters N, Tahzib NG. Scleral lens tolerance after corneal cross-linking for keratoconus. Optom Vis Sci. 2015 Mar;92:318-323.
(p. 52) Contact Lens Case Reports – Corneal and Scleral Toricity
By Gregory W. DeNaeyer, OD
- Kinoshita B, Morrison S, Caroline P, Kojima R, Lampa M. Corneal Toricity and Scleral Asymmetry…Are They Related? Poster presented at the Global Specialty Lens Symposium, Jan. 2016, Las Vegas.
- Siebert S, Jedlicka J. Utilizing Corneal Topography to Aid in Predicting Scleral Topography for the Purpose of Fitting Scleral Contact Lenses. Poster presented at the Global Specialty Lens Symposium, Jan. 2017, Las Vegas.
- Lopez-Alcon D, Castejon I. Relationship Between the Stabilization Axis of a Scleral Lens with Toric Peripherals and the Axis of Corneal Astigmatism. Poster presented at the Global Specialty Lens Symposium, Jan. 2018, Las Vegas.
- Macedo-de-Araújo RJ, Amorim-de-Sousa A, Queiros A, van der Worp E, González-Méijome JM. Relationship of placido corneal topography data with scleral lens fitting parameters. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2019 Feb;42:20-27.
- Consejo A, Rozema JJ. Scleral Shape and Its Correlations with Corneal Astigmatism. Cornea. 2018 Aug;37:1047-1052.
- Ritzmann M, Caroline P, Börret R, Korszen E. An analysis of anterior scleral shape and its role in the design an fitting of scleral contact lenses. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2018 Apr;41:205-213.
- DeNaeyer G, Sanders DR, van der Worp E, Jedlicka J, Michaud L, Morrison S. Qualitative assessment of scleral shape patterns using a new wide field ocular surface elevation topographer: the SSSG study. J Cont Lens Res Sci. 2017 Nov 16;1:12-22.