A Top 10 List of Contact Lens-Related Topics
BY JASON J. NICHOLS, OD, MPH, PHD, FAAO
I was recently asked by a colleague if I have a current “Top 10” buzz list of topics in the contact lens field. At the time I was asked, I didn't really have such a list, at least not in the way the colleague was asking. The question made me stop and think. First, what is a “Top 10” buzz list? Second, how does something make it on (or off) the list? Third, how often should such a list be updated? Monthly? Annually?
As I continued to ponder this question over course of the day, I came to the realization that I actually do maintain such a list, particularly as it relates to content we choose for Contact Lens Spectrum and your level of interest in our recendy published material, in addition to the topics I cover when lecturing to students and colleagues.
So, in no particular order, here is my current Top 10 list of contact lens-related topics:
- Impact of the economy on trends in the industry and in our profession
- Care solutions — efficacy and biocompatibility
- Soft lenses — new polymers, additives
- GP lenses — risk for decline or booming business?
- Lens designs — tories, presbyopic correction, orthokeratology
- Microbial keratitis — factors other than oxygen
- Discomfort and dryness — lenses, solutions, patients, how it is measured
- The impact of ocular surface disease such as dry eye, blepharitis, and allergy
- New diagnostic technology, pharmaceuticals, and combination products
- Myopia control
I look forward to updating this list at least occasionally, and certainly welcome your thoughts and feedback on making sure that it is current and comprehensive.