CE TEST QUESTIONS
- In _____, the seminal study by Holden and Mertz evaluated the relationship between corneal edema and hydrogel lens oxygen transmissibility for daily and extended lens wear.
- In a 2015 article by Fonn and Sweeney, the authors assert that “sentiment has been expressed that _________________ lens materials should be routinely prescribed over traditional hydrogel lenses for daily wear.”
a. Silicone Hydrogel
- Research shows that even _________________ contact lens wearers often don’t follow safe wearing instructions and have lifestyles that present significant challenges to safe, comfortable lens wear.
c. Daily disposable
d. Disposable (2-week replacement)
- In a 2015 study of daily disposable contact lens wearers, ______ reported sleeping overnight in their lenses.
- To increase the likelihood of good health, the eye should receive the highest possible levels of oxygen. One consequence of limited oxygen includes:
a. Corneal edema
b. Lid margin disease
d. Meibomian gland dysfunction
- Brennan and Morgan asserted that all _____________ lenses induce corneal hypoxia.
a. Silicone hydrogel
- According to _________________, most values for hydrogel lenses give a false impression of their oxygen capabilities.
a. Brennan and Morgan
b. Cover and colleagues
d. Holden and Mertz
- Covey and colleagues studied whether subjects wearing SiHy lenses could be discriminated from non-wearing subjects. No differences were found between the two groups in any of the studied parameters with the exception of the high-Dk lens-wearing group, which had twofold more tear film debris and ________ more conjunctival staining than the nonlens-wearing subjects.
- In 2013, Sweeney reviewed the literature to determine whether or not silicone hydrogel lenses have eliminated corneal hypoxia and concluded that _______________ lenses have effectively eliminated hypoxia for most patients, regardless of wearing schedule.
a. Traditional hydrogel
b. Silicone hydrogel (SiHy)
d. Daily disposable
- Data from a retrospective chart review of myopic soft contact lens wearers aged 8 to 22 years were analyzed for rate of progression of myopia and associated characteristics. During observation, _____ of subjects experienced a change in soft contact lens power of -0.50 D or more.
- From that same review, which of the following was indicated as a significant predictor of a future increase in minus lens power:
c. Longer time to the first increase in minus power
- In a large, multisite (United States and Canada), single-masked study, experienced daily wear, low Dk/t, 2-week replacement soft contact lens wearers were refitted into a silicone hydrogel lens for a 2-week period. Conjunctival and limbal redness, corneal neovascularization, corneal edema, and corneal and conjunctival staining all ___________________________ from baseline.
a. Slightly increased
b. Increased significantly
c. Slightly decreased
d. Decreased significantly
- In that same study, silicone hydrogel lenses performed better than habitual lenses in terms of
c. Overall preference
d. Comfort, symptoms, and overall preference
- In a study investigating the clinical performance and physiological responses in a group of successful long-term wearers of conventional hydrogel lenses when refitted with daily wear SiHy contact lenses, investigators found that ___ percent of subjects were successfully refitted into SiHy lenses.
- In that same study, both objective and subjective evaluations showed that bulbar and limbal hyperemia decreased _______________ in all quadrants during the study.
- In Part 2 of a two-party study estimating the prevalence of problems occurring with soft contact lens wearers, how many subjects were classified as “problem patients”?
- After being refitted with silicone hydrogel contact lenses, _____ of these “problem patients” reported better comfort.
- In a recent online survey, current and lapsed contact lens wearers residing in Canada, which of the following was reported as a primary reason for discontinuing contact lens wear:
- Commonly reported obstacles to SiHy fits include ______________________________.
b. Cost and allergic response
c. Coast and parameters
d. Cost, allergic response, and parameters
- A vast majority (____) of reusable fits are silicone hydrogel, presumably due to the superior material benefits.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
Please take the post test by logging in to www.clsce-whysihy.com .
To obtain 2 hours of COPE CE Credit for this activity, read the material in its entirety and consult referenced sources as necessary. Then, complete the post test and evaluation online by using your OE tracker number and logging in to www.clsce-whysihy.com . Upon passing the test, you will immediately receive a printable, PDF version of your course certificate. On the last day of the month, all course results will be forwarded to ARBO with your OE tracker number and your records will be updated. You must score 70% or higher on this test to receive credit.
To obtain 1 hour of NCLE CE Credit for this activity, read the material in its entirety and consult referenced sources as necessary. Then, complete the post test online by logging in to www.clsce-whysihy.com . On the last day of the month, all course results will be forwarded to ABO-NCLE and your records will be updated. You will receive a certificate by mail. You must score 80% or higher to receive credit for this activity. Evaluation forms will no longer be collected. Please email ABO and NCLE at firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments in regards to this course and/or the authors.